7.29.2007

Temperament

In lieu of cracking open the latest Harry Potter (while the rest of the country pours over the book at every Car Wash and Starbucks in sight)I have been doing my binge reading sessions in a few parenting books. Something I love and loathe to do. I am usually of the mind that most of them should be thrown out for varied and obvious reasons. Although today I came upon an interesting way to measure the characteristics that make up the temperament of your child.

1. Intensity: the strength of a child's emotional responses

2. Persistence: the ease or difficulty a child has stopping or letting go of an activity or idea that is important to her.

3. Sensitivity: a child's awareness and sensitivity to tastes, textures, temperature, noise, and emotions.

4. Perceptiveness: a child's awareness of the colors, people, noises, and objects around her. Perceptiveness determines a child's ability to stay focused.

5. Adaptability: a child's ability to adapt to changes in her schedule or routine.

6. Regularity: a child's regularity or irregularity in terms of her daily rhythms-eating, sleep, and elimination.

7. Energy: a child's basic energy level-quiet and relaxed or on the move and busy.

8. First reaction: a child's level of comfort or discomfort in new situations

9. Mood: a child's tendency to be happy and content or serious and moody.

It finishes the chapter with..."Characteristics that are considered 'difficult' in children often develop into real assets in adulthood."

Do the authors realize that I won't be living with my children (and their GREAT assets) when they are adults? I have to live with THEM, difficulties and all, right now. But, wait...I read the list over again and thought of my own temperament. On the other hand, they have to live with ME and my 'great' assets, right now. Not sure who is on the winning end of that one, eh?

4 comments:

emily said...

great, isa! very, very true indeed.

kim said...

Isa, I LOVE Raising your spirited Child! And only partially because I have one, but seriously, being a spirited adult, it really has helped me understand my triggers! Now I just need to meditate on that book every day and I might remember what I've learned.

Have you read Raising our Children, Raising Ourselves? That's my current study--trying to sort out how much of it I agree with and how much I think I can actually manage--I have some major raising to do with myself!

Isa said...

YES! I do too! I understand about the manage vs. agreement dilemma. On to the raising of ALL of us:)

Margo said...

I found you Isa (thank you kim's blog). Your girls are beautiful and your pumpkins are too!