Written by Ben:
A couple of weeks ago Chloe was asked to give her first talk in primary. The assigned topic was "Jesus Christ is my Savior". On the night before, we sat down to write it. I told her that I wanted her to choose a verse from the Book of Mormon to use in her talk. As I got the scriptures out she eagerly grabbed them from me and opened to somewhere in the middle. She pointed at a spot on the page and said, "I want to use this one!" She was pointing at Alma chapter 38 verse 8 which reads:
"And it came to pass that I was three days and three nights in the most bitter pain and anguish of soul; and never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a remission of my sins. But behold, I did cry unto him and I did find peace to my soul."
This is not a verse that would have occurred to me to use in her talk but on the topic of how Jesus Christ is our Savior, I realized that I can not think of a single passage that shows the healing, comforting and redeeming power of the Savior any clearer. Especially with regard to His ability to save us from our personal crises in life and not just in the more abstract sense of the post-mortal redemption of mankind. It was a little miracle! A glimpse of the ever-present awareness and personal attention and care that we all constantly receive, unseen or unnoticed, from our Savior.
After choosing this passage, she chose five paintings that depict scenes from the Savior's life and told me what she wanted to say about them. With a little editing on my part, she wrote a beautiful talk. When she delivered it, standing at the pulpit of the chapel (we have primary opening exercises there), she was a little nervous at first but with my encouragement and prompting, she began to speak up and give her talk. It was a sweet and memorable experience for which I am deeply grateful.
Chloe's Talk as transcribed her Dad:
Recite Alma 38:8
When Jesus was a baby he was obedient and good to his Father.
Jesus was baptized to be obedient to Heavenly Father.
Jesus calmed the rain and the water to keep the fishermen safe.
Jesus has power over the earth.
After Jesus died he was resurrected.
Jesus has power over death.
Jesus has the power to save us and bring us to heaven if we can have faith and be obedient like he was.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
3.27.2008
March 16th, 2008
Posted by Isa at 9:09 PM
Labels: 1st Primary Talk, Chloe, Church, dad's story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
That sweet girl! I wish I had known and I would have stayed it hear it. Way to go Chloe!
Post a Comment