Dear C and L,
I hope you are sleeping soundly and having sweet dreams. We are living in two different time zones and I have flown towards the sun and future.
Yesterday, I was terribly jet lagged from my inability to sleep on the 10 hour plane ride. The guy next to we woke up after sleeping for 8 hours and was so chipper. I just put my sunglasses on over my bloodshot eyes and my felt my head spin (as I wondered how long I would have to wait for my taxi at Charles de Gaulle?). My driver was waiting for me (thank goodness). I watched intently as we drove into the lush countryside, slowing waking up. My driver spoke very little English and I spoke very little French. It was a quiet ride.
I made it to Abbey du Royaumont.
Dad walked to Viarmes in the morning to buy a few things for our lunch. Such foresight. He knew I would be too exhausted to eat with everyone else and wanted me to be comfortable and rest. He is the most thoughtful husband in the world. I ate a little and took a two hour nap while Dad worked. later, we walked the grounds, looked at the gardens, the ruins of an old chapel, and a bookstore. I was too tired to take my camera. I wish I had. We saw these incredible seed pods falling from the trees and a grotto with a Saint. We looked at medival gardens and sat by a tranquil washing mote. It was right out of Jane Austen. All the while the sounds of singers and oboes and flutes hauntingly played in the background as the performers practiced for upcoming concerts.
We unpacked a bit before dinner. Dinner...Where do I start!? It was not only the most beautiful buffet-like setting I had EVER seen but, the best food. BY FAR! Dad has been spoiled by too many french delicasises...There was meats and sauce, fish, vegetables, salads, cheeses, pasta, anti pasta, desserts, beautiful containers and platters, tables with bottles of sparkling water and wine...(I would have taken pictures but, I was new and wanted to make a non-tourist impression on all of these international artists that had been dining here at the abbey for 3 weeks now). My favorite dessert was the chocolate mousse. You girls would have loved it.
After dinner we went to a dance concert. It was very interesting. I did fall asleep from fatigue at one point. It was too long. One of the two dancers was incredible and I am amazed at the level of commitment to art here in Europe. I feel at home.
Well, Dad is off rehearsing his piece with the singers right now. He brought me breakfast in bed so I could sleep in. I feel great this morning. One day we will share all of this with you. I love you girls!
XOXO,
Mom
Below: Our french residence in a 13th century abbey.
It is charming?
9.12.2008
Day 19: I am in the French Countryside.
Posted by Isa at 1:31 AM
Labels: France 2008, letters to Chloe and Lily
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Isa,
It looks like something out of a fairy tale!! You must be having the time of your life! Chloe came over and played for a couple of hours this afternoon, and she and Audrey had a riot! They were so good, I got caught up on stuff, too. We're so glad they're back in town. We're planning on another playdate tomorrow morning. Have fun, and rest assured that your family is doing well!
Post a Comment