2.09.2008

Wednesday

Dear little Chloe,

You were very brave on Wednesday when you had to get tubes in your ears and adenoids taken out! I had to wake you up early to get you to Rady Children's Hospital for your surgery(s). You came with me cheerfully, even though you were nervous. You asked me if it would hurt. I assured you it wouldn't hurt and that you would be asleep. I was nervous too but didn't want you to know. When we arrived to the hospital surgery check-in office you sat patiently while I signed forms. The secretary said you were very cute and gave you a book. You especially liked it when she put a name bracelet on your Kitty Cat! We walked over to the waiting room and gave them our paperwork and waited with a lot of other people. We had to wait for a really long time because you had a teeny tiny drink of soy milk (my fault) at 6:00am. You played with the toys, watched KPBS, and looked through a National Geographic with me to pass the time. It was hard for you because you were hungry and thirsty. Your lips were dried out. It made me anxious for them to call your name. When it was our turn to talk to the Doctor you were a little scared. We told the Doctor and he said that I could come with you into the operating room. I got to dress in a funny suit and hat. You fell asleep in the arms of the kind anesthesiologist. He was telling you a story about the zoo. I gave you a kiss on the cheek and reluctantly left you with all of the nice nurses and doctors. They told me they would be done in 20 minutes. It actually only took them about 12 minutes! Thankfully! While I was waiting for you I was sitting next to a sweet Mexican grandmother. She was asking me questions in Spanish. I was answering to the best of my ability. Her sweatshirt read, "This is not the life I ordered". I thought that was funny, at that moment we could relate, right. I talked with your great Doctor and he told me that the surgery went well. They removed your large adenoids and took the fluid out of your ears and put in tubes. He said you should be waking up in 15 minutes...that they would come get me as soon as you did. That was hard for me. I wanted to run right by your side! I gripped the handle on my backpack and tapped my foot annoyingly and waited. Every time the Recovery Room door opened I was ready to jump out of my seat in hopes it was your name that they called. When they (finally) did call me in I saw you lying in your hospital bed with a huge IV in your arm and red Popsicle in your other hand. You were groggy and didn't want to drink anything. I held your hand and face and gave you sweet nothings. You watched a part of Willy Wonka and drank some slushy. I told you I would take you to get a milkshake and you liked that idea. Dad was so sad that he couldn’t be there. He wanted to come with us to be with you—his sweet Chloe. He gave you a blessing in the morning before we got in the car. It was beautiful and made us all feel comforted. A little while later you started feeling better. I got you dressed and you walked out to the car holding my hand. We got you a milkshake on the way home. You drank it all up. You felt wonderful and wanted to go outside. You showed me amazing tricks on the playground and ran around with lots of energy. Your ears felt better and I was so glad. You were brave and strong, as usual. I am so grateful for you Chloe. You teach me so much. I love you.

Mom

1 comments:

Valerie said...

That was so beautiful , Isa. I'm sure Chloe will treasure it.